Audi 80 2.0e Eaton M62 Mercedes Supercharger

Discussion in 'General Supercharger Discussion' started by hrdslv, Aug 24, 2023.

1. hrdslv

I was wondering if it would be possible to run the Eaton M62 Mercedes Supercharger on a stock naturally aspirated 2.0E (1995 Audi 80 sedan B4 inline-4 115hp) and would it affect the internals (pistons,piston rings,bearings,head gasket,valves ect.)? Not looking for a racecar its more of a overtaking and acceleration purpose(not crazy amount of boost).
    Thanks for the advice!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
    Tags:

2. OpposableThumbsConfuseMe

1. Where are you located?
    2. How mechanically inclined are you?
    3. How much do you know about VWs?
    I am going to make some assumptions here on the above answers:
    • Did you already get the supercharger?
    • People have put Eaton superchargers on VW for years now; check threads on vwvortext
    • Find the crank pulley of a PG engine, as it was supercharged from factory; it should fit your engine just fine but I do not know if the pulley ratio will work for you. As in, I expect the MB supercharger pulley to be larger than the Glader one.
    • You will need more fuel and different timing, so plan to need to remap the ECU. You may think you are really clever and brave and run stock; it is your engine. I am not as clever so I do not like to run my engine leaner than it needs and with the wrong timing under boost.
    • Corollary of the above: VAG-COM is your friend
    • The G60, as the name implies, displaces .6L/revolution. Compare that with the Eaton M45 (074L) and the M62 (1L).
    • Lots of options for intercoolers, including factory VW/Audi you can pick off a yard all day
    • I am not going to bother to look your engine up, but if you plan on building it up see if the ABA parts fit it (or just grab the entire block off the yard): an earlier one has forged cranks, rods, and oil squirters; the later does not. Cheap upgrades they are.
    • What is your plan for the compressor bypass circuit? You will have a compressor bypass circuit. Don't like the Mercedes one (electric)? Check the one off a Supercharged Mini (vacuum one) or grab the one off a Turbo Saab.
    • "looking for a racecar": famous last words. In any case, the frst gen SLK 2300 run the M62 at around 7psi.
    • "more of a overtaking." Er, that is what turbos (and centrifugal superchargers) do best.
    • AFAIK, Mercedes did not turn the supercharger on until 800RPM, but never above 3K RPM. Note what I boldfaced so you do not rush reading it and misinterpret it.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
  3. OpposableThumbsConfuseMe

SLK Pulley diameters:
    • Supercharger: 93.5mm. Smallest I've know someone to use and still keep the clutch system working was 87mm
    • Crank: 185mm
    Let me know if you need pictures of this supercharger.