Boost Reference Needed Or Not(???)

Discussion in 'General Supercharger Discussion' started by Carl Musser, Aug 31, 2023.

1. Carl Musser

I'm new to this website and trying to navigate as best as possible. If I'm not asking in the correct category please let me know.
    I'm having a 383 built for my 32 Ford coupe and adding an Edelbrock Eforce supercharger. It will only have 5 lbs. of boost and I need (would appreciate), some input from those with experience as to "do I really need to be concerned with running a boost referenced 4-barrel"? I'm leaning towards a Holley 4150 style and buying new is anywhere from $900 to $1,200.00. I'm only going to be running between 500 and 550 HP and plan to use a 750 to 850 cfm carb. Again, I appreciate any input on this or if you know of a used Holley set up for a draw-through application please let me know. Thanks a lot!!

Tags:

2. vinces427bb Staff Member

i've always heard that BR is not needed till about 8#'s of boost.
    i looked at the demon carb site and it shows BR carbs for blow thru
    https://www.holley.com/brands/demon/
    the draw thru applications like 6-71 and 8-71 show carbs with down leg booster
    annular boosts maybe better but cost more...

3. Carl Musser

Thank you for your response. I'll likely be looking for the right annular booster carb.

4. OpposableThumbsConfuseMe

If you have a wideband O2 sensor (and gauge), you can use it to tell you whether you go lean. If that happens, then you revisit this question. Until then...

The next best option is to read your spark plugs

5. Carl Musser

No O2 sensor on this application. I guess it could be added if I choose to go that way. Thank you for your response.

6. OpposableThumbsConfuseMe

Full disclosure: I am not one of the members here who know what an engine is up to by seat of pants and ear. I am the kind of guy who compensates for his lack of skills by, when it is time to replace spark plugs, will take pictures of them, shove a borescope attached to my laptop through the spark plug holes and record what it sees, and then do compression check. With that in mind, I do run a wideband O2 sensor in my car even though it comes from factory with a narrowband one. In my deranged imagination, it provides a better view of how the combustion is doing than, say, the factory setup or even the EGT probe I used to run (need to put a new one).

Out of curiosity, it seems Elderbrock sold Eaton M122s (https://www.edelbrock.com/e-force-h122-supercharger-for-1957-86-sbc-carbureted-1551.html) for draw through carburetor setups. Is that your setup? If so, I find it interesting as many claim the Eatons are not very happy with drawtrhough setups. However, I would expect Elderbrock to know a thing or two about this. Besides, they would want to keep warranty work to a minimum because that costs them money.

7. Carl Musser

Yes, this is the exact set-up from Edelbrock that I have. It's looking more like I either need to run their AVS2 carb or a draw-through design from Holley (which is much more expensive). Thank you for your feedback.