Crankcase Ventilation On Blown Early Sbc

Discussion in 'General Supercharger Discussion' started by Jim Giacolone, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Jim Giacolone

Hello,

New to this forum. I have searched and read all applicable crankcase ventilation content I could find on this site. Very informative!

I am building a GEN 1 SBC small displacement engine purpose built for a roots-style blower. I am using a TBS 6v-71 blower.

I have constructed a deign for a crankcase ventilation system below. I do not have an MAF sensor. I do not want to use a PCV valve.

I think I have this setup correct. Please comment on the functionality of this system.

Your time and consideration is much appreciated!
    • No PCV valves used
      • When the supercharger makes boost, a PCV valve could be forced shut
      • This could effectively close a crankcase ventilation system
    • Route hoses from open fittings in the rear of each valve cover to “Y” connector
      • Baffles must be used inside valve cover openings, below fitting
      • In-line check valves used to limit directional flow out of engine
    • Route a single hose from outlet of the “Y” connector to an air/oil separator inlet
    • Connect air/oil separator outlet to breather tank inlet
      • Valve covers vent through the air/oil separator, and then through the breather tank
      • Allows the engine to breath freely while containing any oil that may be drawn up through the system
    • Route a single hose from breather tank outlet to fuel pump block-off plate fitting
      • In-line check valve to limit one-directional flow into engine
      • Returns a combination of filtered crankcase air and fresh air back into the engine

Tags:

2. vinces427bb Staff Member

where do you live, and what are the emission rules that apply to the vehicle - year/make/model.
    that and what block are you using, and what did it have originally for pvc breathers
    older sbc blocks had road draft
    and newer 68 & later blocks were changed up to ventilate the lifter valley and the valve covers

3. OpposableThumbsConfuseMe

Another suggestion: take a look at the PCV system used in turbocharged Volvos from mid 80s onwards for inspiration.
    [​IMG]#ad

4. OpposableThumbsConfuseMe

It is not letting me edit the post, so

A is the hose to the intake manifold
    B is a hose about the same diameter as E which goes to a port just ahead of turbo
    C is only available with N/A cars
    F is a kind of oil separator, hence the H hose.