Which Of These 2 Cams Will Best Suit My Application?

Discussion in 'General Supercharger Discussion' started by maca, May 26, 2016.

1. maca

Hi
    I have a 360 magnum which will be running a carby. However it will be having a vortech supercharger with around 15psi for a couple of car meets a year. I have a 2 of the below comp cams. One is ground as the website spec with a lobe separation of 114 degrees and one with a lobe separation of 110 degrees. I had the 110 degree cam ground as I think it will be better for power with a carby set up but i also had the 114 degree one ground as I think it may be better for supercharging.

My questions are: If I run the 114 degree cam will it make the same power as the 110 degree with the carb or less?
    If not and I run the 110 degree cam will it be just as powerful when supercharged but just less fuel efficient or less power?
    not sure which was to go.
    thanks Greg
    http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=661&sb=0

Tags:

2. vinces427bb Staff Member

the cam you linked to has a LSA 114* [lobe separation angle] this is set when the cam is ground & is not adjustable
    also it shows the cam intake centerline 110* that is recommended it be set [adjusted] at...
    this cam should have a mild idle and loads of power/torque just off idle and be all done by 5600rpm
    would be great for a street car that has limited strip time a great driver though.

i had a similar style cam in my engine and it made stupid power and was stupid fast...:wideyed:

on a centrifugal super charger application a LSA 110* cam will produce less boost due to the both intake
    and exhaust valve being open longer at the same timeo_O

on my engine a cam with LSA 110* seemed to only make 12# of boost compared to the [14-15# the LSA 114*cam]
    it still made good power though :cool:

i think the linked cam with the LSA 114* would be a better choice :blackalien:
    upload_2016-5-26_7-49-36.png #ad

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  3. Mr. Twister

I've always been told you gotta go with a supercharger boost cam, toss out N/A and turbo cam thinking. Its just an apples to orange comparison otherwise. Go with a 112 or 114

4. maca

Thanks for the response's guys
    That is my understanding too. This cam will be great low down and I supposed the supercharger will do the rest up in the higher rpm.

I guess my only concern is I will only be running the supercharger for a couple of car shows/drags a year. The rest of the time it will just be a NA carby set up street cruiser. Do you think there will be a big difference between the 114 and 110 LSA cams when running most of the year as NA? Will the 114 be way down on power compared to the 110 when NA?

5. vinces427bb Staff Member

no &
    no o_O

6. maca

Cool, 114 LSA it is then.
    I have used this cam with 110LSA in a stock 360 magnum before and ended up with 360FLHP and 270 at the wheels.
    Should be a nice weekend cruiser until I bolt on the supercharger for those occasional events.