Belt Tightness Question

Discussion in 'General Supercharger Discussion' started by Carl Musser, Apr 7, 2024.

1. Carl Musser

I have a new Edelbrock E-force #1551 supercharger going on my 383 in my 32 Ford. My question pertains to not being able to get the new belt on in the normal way. With all pulleys installed and the belt in place on the upper (snout) pulley and idler pulley, I have tried to get the belt on the crank pulley by rolling the engine over and pulling it on in the normal matter. I would not budge. I removed the idler which I thought would help but still nothing. Since I was just "test fitting" everything, I finally got it on by loosening the supercharger to manifold bolts which allowed me to slightly tilt the SC snout downward and get the belt on, then tightening the bolts back down. OK, it's on but very tight and I still don't have the idler back on. I feel I need a belt that is slightly longer. I have other superchargers and never had this issue.
    I have contacted Edelbrock tech and they just tell me that I have the correct belt and that it should be tight.
    I'm afraid if I try to install it this way and actually run the engine the upper snout bearing will be damaged.
    Does anyone have a response or suggestion? Thank you! - Carl

Tags:

2. SCF/HAIC Staff Member Admin

I assume based on your description this is not a system with an automatic or adjustable tensioner pulley?

3. Carl Musser

I do have a tensioner that allows you to adjust the tension manually. It is not spring loaded. When installed in the "least tension" position, I cannot get the belt on so I removed it so I could at least look at the top to bottom belt alignment. I have an Edelbrock #1551 E-force kit. Thank you!

4. vinces427bb Staff Member

what is the belt model/number that you have?
    is it the same belt listed in the instruction manual?
    longer belt may be needed, do you have a 6-8-10 rib belt required?
    if you run a piece of twine, cable or tape over the outside of the crank+ blower+ tensioner fully retracted.
    you should be able to figure out how long your belt needs to be...

5. Carl Musser

My belt is the Edelbrock belt that comes with the unit, #51-7003. I'm thinking now it "might" be OK since I read that when the belt is on correctly you should only be able to turn it 90 degrees my using your thumb and forefinger. Without my idler in place I can turn it almost 180 degrees. I will get the idler back on and see where I'm at. I wish I could just take it on and off without unbolting everything and then just tighten the idler to get the proper tightness. Thanks again for your feedback.

6. SCF/HAIC Staff Member Admin

Yeah, that sounds about right. I've always heard 45 degrees with slight pressure, and 90 where you feeling it maxing out without forcing it further.