Water In #8

Discussion in 'General Supercharger Discussion' started by Terry richards, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Terry richards

Engine is SBC 355 cid with V1 Vortec blower. Last fall went to take a drive and the engine wouldn't turn over like dead battery , charged it up, still the same. Got a new battery and still the same, then decided to pull the plugs and cylinder #8 was full of water. After engine disassembly there was nothing wrong that I could find, even had numerous skilled people look at the head gasket, nothing wrong. It's one of those multi layer Felpro gaskets for blown engines. Is what I'm looking for is if any other related failures that might have caused my problem. Thanks Terry

Tags:

2. vinces427bb Staff Member

1.how closely did you look at the intake gasket on the #8 cyl. area??
    was it in good condition?? if not water could have got in thru the intake port...
    2.have you looked closely the #8 cylinder bore specifically where the top of cylinder is close to the head bolts and/or the water passages??
    there could be a hair line crack between the cylinder bore and the bolt holes or water passages;
    it the area is dry you could spray some white or yellow paint on the area to help a crack appear...
    3.what heads are you running and did we have any work done to them prior to using on this engine??
    like oversize valves; hardened seats; valve guides; any porting??? this would be another source of water...