Water Methanol Injection Spark Plug Heat Range

Discussion in 'General Supercharger Discussion' started by bigblockragtop, Jan 6, 2015.

1. bigblockragtop

I have a street car with a 496 8.5-1 with an 850 C&S blow through carb. I have the Snow kit on it. 99% of my driving is cruising around. I have a LM2 hooked up and cruise in the 13's afr any leaner and it is not happy. Most of my driving is under 2k rpm. The plugs are always black when I pull them and cruising around if I get stuck at a few lights the car kind of needs to clear it's throat so to speak to stop being grumbly. I run ngk9's. I have the w/m injection come on under boost so I guess my question is can I go with a hotter plug to clean things up since I have w/m injection or just deal with it? Also is running a C&S carb strictly street a bad idea? No problem when I step on it so...

Tags:

2. vinces427bb Staff Member

i would try a different brand of plug first..
    the plug that cross's over to Champion at a tight gap .030-.032" is what i would try...o_O

3. bigblockragtop

I am running a 25 gap now, I was told to go with the small gap so the spark does not blow out. Thanks for the reply!

4. vinces427bb Staff Member

are you using a MSD multispark box or other???

5. bigblockragtop

I am using the Mallory Hyfire 6, it has the built in start retard. I run the distributor locked at 36 and pull .5lbs of timing for each of boost, so total is lower then 32 under boost. No signs of detonation, I was told I could run more timing but I do not need more power.

6. vinces427bb Staff Member

I was fouling a lot of the NGK plugs and the shorty ACCELL plugs, [about 40plugs:mad:]
    changed to Champions and they were very resistant to the rich fouling to my surpriseo_O

7. bigblockragtop

Very cool definitely worth a shot. Thanks for the quick reply. Is 25 too small of a gap? I was told keep it that way with the blower so they don't blow out.

8. vinces427bb Staff Member

it does sound too small;
    I was told to use .030-.032" for under 15#'s of boost
    less than .030" gap was for hi boost and methanol/E85 fuels...

9. bigblockragtop

Well it certainly can't hurt to give it a shot. Thanks

10. bigblockragtop

Just for the fun of it I wrote to ngk and said I am having fouling issues. I was recommended to go with Ur6and gap them at 35. They are an extended tip plug and are hotter then what I am running now. From what I have read this is way off. What does anyone think?

11. SCF/HAIC Staff Member Admin

What kind of boost are you running?

12. bigblockragtop

I have the d1sc on a 496 so maxed out I see 10-12 lbs of boost. Kind of hard to look down at the gauge but that is my best guess.

13. SCF/HAIC Staff Member Admin

UR6 is one range cooler than stock, I'd consider a 7 heat range, 9 is kind of cold for mid-range boost levels like that. fouling. I'm at 10lbs boost with 2 ranges cooler on my truck, at 9.8:1 compression. Gapped at .035.

14. bigblockragtop

Also I noticed the ur6 is an extended tip plug, I have merlin cast oval port heads and the heads call for extended tip but I hear to stay away from them on boosted cars although the boost on mine is low so not sure if that would be a problem.

15. vinces427bb Staff Member

what kind of plug tip are you running currently??

16. bigblockragtop

5673-8 it is a non extended tip.

17. vinces427bb Staff Member

how long have you had the carb on the engine since you started running it??
    I had a fouling problem and I just had a hellova time nailing down.
    it was the needle and seat sticking intermittently on the primary side of carb...
    I changed them out for new and reset the floats to the exact same level using feeler gages,
    and it was like magic :oops:
    it works like it used to :arghh:

18. bigblockragtop

It has always been this way, if I lean it out it will not cruise nice(it will surge). I opened up the iab when I first set up the carb because it ran pig rich.

19. vinces427bb Staff Member

do you have the screw in jets at top of top of carb for the iab and hab ???

20. bigblockragtop

No on an aerosol carb they are in the metering blocks.