Wrapping Intake Tube To Lower Intake Temps

Discussion in 'General Supercharger Discussion' started by SC Camaro, Dec 30, 2014.

1. SC Camaro

Would wrapping the intake tube with insulating material, like what they use on firewalls, help to keep intake temperatures lower? I have a pretty large roll of it sitting on the shelf going to waste.

Tags:

2. vinces427bb Staff Member

it depends on which temperature is higher: the boosted air or the under hood air??o_O

3. SCF/HAIC Staff Member Admin

I had two starter thermal wraps hanging around doing nothing so I wrapped them around the intake on my truck. If they did anything it wasn't much, not enough to see any power difference.

Vince is right if the boosted air is hotter than under hood temps a tube without insulation might actually help cool it. You're better off insulating the exhaust to keep heat in it and not under the hood.

4. SC Camaro

Okay, makes sense. Guess the only way to find out is try it out and see if the temps drop. I won't make it a permanent install just in case.