Compression On Sbc

Discussion in 'General Supercharger Discussion' started by LT1 Guy, Jan 19, 2015.

1. LT1 Guy

With a small block Chevy, pump gas (92 oct) and shooting for about 12 psi what's the highest compression I can run?

Tags:

2. SBCSupercharged

I'll start out by saying I am not an expert I am starting out myself with this supercharged stuff. I was given this chart to use which gives some rule of thumb guideline. Someone with more experience can probably give some more info!

Compression-Ratio.jpg #ad

3. vinces427bb Staff Member

without an intercooler = 8.5:1 would be about tops:nailbiting:
    any of these used alone or as a combo of intercooling, meth-injection, E85-fuel the copression could be slightly higher but should stay less than 10:1:grumpy:

4. vinces427bb Staff Member

this chart is for aluminum head, and carb'ed applications, running pump gas
    you said you were going with a P1-sc blower so this is an idea what you are looking at.
    your elevation can also play into boost produced...

carb_comp_ratio.jpg #ad

SCF/HAIC likes this.
  5. LT1 Guy

That's a lot lower than I thought. Guess I will have to look into intercooler options.

6. My2003Terminator

Do aluminum heads allow higher boost at the same compression ratio?

7. vinces427bb Staff Member

yes; slightly higher as they shed detonation causing heat quicker than Iron heads:vomit: