Water Methanol Injector Maintenance

Discussion in 'General Supercharger Discussion' started by Albroswift, May 10, 2015.

1. Albroswift

Hello, All
    Thought I heard a little detonation when I was getting on it the other day, maybe down a little power, thought no way, not me...
    Checked the WMI reservoir, 3/4 full but didn't seem much lower then the last time I checked, haven't been getting on it a lot but seemed like maybe it should have used some...
    Anyway, pulled the line off the top of the jet, and the fitting and screen top of jet was packed full of this stuff that looked like a fine grain light blue snow cone ice. Pulled the intake tube and removed the jet, cleaned, activated the pump and flushed 1/2 gal of mix through the tube, pumped some through the jet and blew out a couple of times and re-assembled. Also noticed a little of the same bluish goo under the filler cap and the bottom of the filler throat, just where it touches the mix when full. . Stuff just disappears when rubbed between two fingers, (Maybe should have used gloves, probably in my blood stream byyy nowoooowwwwa.) Wish I had of taken a photo but didn't.
    Any idea what this residue/ buildup is caused by? I buy my meth at Honest Performance, should be good stuff, maybe city water? Aluminum reservoir?

Tags:
    vinces427bb likes this.

2. SCF/HAIC Staff Member Admin

What they are selling you is window washer fluid. It's water/meth, with dye and detergent in it. The detergent is what that dried crusty stuff is.

3. Albroswift

Don't think that's it. I but Straight Methanol CH3OH from a race shop and mix the water myself. Clear liquid. No color at all. may be a reaction with the aluminum and city water, far as I know last owner mixed his own also.
    Thanks-

4. Albroswift

Something else, not dry/ crusty, more like very light opaque jelly. I'm going to use distilled water next batch.

5. bigblockragtop

I think you are right. I think it can not be mixed with just tap water. Would have to be distilled I think.

6. vinces427bb Staff Member

mixing your own boost juice?
    is there a high calcium or other mineral content in your water?:blackalien:
    distilled or filtered is what would be best:arghh:

the blueish stuff is suspected windshield antifreeze residue:vomit:

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  7. SCF/HAIC Staff Member Admin

Didn't know you were using regular water. Could be something in it is helping the methanol oxidize the aluminum. Sounds like you're getting salts from it due to that. Have you looked into an E85 compatible holding tank, it'll have similar oxidation resistance to methanol.

8. Albroswift

Hello, Vince
    As far as I know it has never had ww fluid, buy my meth from the same place as the guy I bought it from buys his. 50-60K on system, this just started.
    Hello, Ken
    Tank is a large volume custom fabrication built in, hope I can solve issue without replacing.
    Thanks for the reply's
    [Broken External Image]:http://hosting.albroswift.com/images/F150.MethanolTank.jpg

9. low4x4

you can't put windshield fliud or water /meth mix in aluminum with our coating the aluminum first, meth has a reaction to aluminum....I used gas tank liner the red stuff

vinces427bb likes this.
  10. vinces427bb Staff Member

that's not a good thing:vomit:
    I did not know that though:blackalien:

11. Albroswift

Is the "red stuff" a liquid that could be applied inside a small tank?
    Thanks--
    Al

12. Albroswift

Red Kote?
    Looks like good stuff, but in the tech stuff I came across this:
    Methanol.
    In the U.S. the federal government allows a maximum of 5% of methanol in gasoline. Red-Kote is not affected by up to 10% methanol. Greater than 10% methanol will leech the red dye out and turn the fuel red, but the Red-Kote remains tightly bonded to the metal. Some fuel tank liners are dissolved by methanol into sticky lumps and strings that plug the fuel line. This will not happen with Red-Kote

13. low4x4

yes I would do two coats....just to be safe...you still should clean the screens periodically..I cleaned mine once in last 5 years...I should do it a little more

14. Albroswift

Going to start checking often. Clogged screen could equal catastrophic failure if the warning signs were ignored even for a few seconds. I'm already bummed about the second or two I had of detonation, thinking back maybe twice, backed out of the throttle immediately but it adds up...
    1.) hear clatter
    2.) eyeball F/A gauge
    3.) lift foot
    Thats about 2-3 seconds...

15. vinces427bb Staff Member

i don't have any safe guards like that, like i could even hear clatter over the blower/engine sounds:wideyed:

just have to make sure you have a maintenance schedule to check the meth/h20 system or ignition cutout tied into the injection system???

16. Albroswift

Got me rolling on that one. You wouldn't believe you were riding in a monster in my rig. Shorty's to a pair of small turbos to a BIG reverse flow (two pipes in in two pipes out) to a second BIG reverse flow (two in one out). single 3" out the back, looks stock. Sound deadening under the carpets and on the FW. Can listen to the stereo or yak on the phone with the windows open.

[QUOTE="just have to make sure you have a maintenance schedule to check the meth/h20 system or ignition cutout tied into the injection system???[/QUOTE]
    Problem is the the clog is at the jet, the way my WMI system is set up shows green dash light when pump turns on and me thinks all is well. How would you tie into system to monitor actual nozzle production?
    Thanks--

17. vinces427bb Staff Member

Problem is the the clog is at the jet, the way my WMI system is set up shows green dash light when pump turns on and me thinks all is well. How would you tie into system to monitor actual nozzle production?
    Thanks--[/QUOTE]
    it would have to be a type of flow sensor as even with the nozzle clogged it would develop pressure, just not adequate flow...:vomit:

18. Albroswift

it would have to be a type of flow sensor as even with the nozzle clogged it would develop pressure, just not adequate flow...:vomit:[/QUOTE]
    Thanks, I was thinking the same. A flow sensor would be another cool gauge to add to the myriad of gauges already populating the cabin...

SCF/HAIC likes this.
  19. low4x4

I actually have a separate knock sensor that lets me know that something is not right

20. Albroswift

Stock or aftermarket? How does it work?