Vintage Latham Axial Flow Supercharger

Discussion in 'General Supercharger Discussion' started by LAROKE, Jun 28, 2016.

1. vinces427bb Staff Member

that is super cool;
    got any photos of your Goat??:cool:

2. Kenneth David

Redoin exterior now to whenever, yankin 428 to redo rear main seal and want to keep that motor out so as to mockup w/latham. Will use another 400 that I have, so as to be able to use/play with the car in the meantime. KEN

LAROKE and vinces427bb like this.
  3. Knobbly

Hi there, need some help please. I own Jim Halls Lister Chevrolet which ran a Latham in period. this was fitted in the winter of 1958. First question, would the correct model for the date be a 14-A? Also what if any are the differences between the 14-A and the 14-B. Thank you in advance for your wisdom!

4. vinces427bb Staff Member

welcome to the site
    do you have any photos of the car: the Jim Halls Lister Chevrolet:blackalien:

5. Knobbly

29015982334_3649905413_b.jpg #ad

sure...

Sandro likes this.
  6. vinces427bb Staff Member

that is a great looking car;
    is that a chaparral or something different??:blackalien:
    an early small block chevy of what size is powering it??

7. Knobbly

Its a Lister Knobbly from England. Jim Hall and Carol Shelby brought some over in 1959 to sell via their dealership and they were ordered without engines. Used a small block chevy engine. So in a way a fore runner of the Cobra idea. Euro chassis and american muscle

Does anyone know the answer to the original question !

LAROKE likes this.
  8. Dutchman

Hello, Knobbly,

The competition version is listed with a B. If you were racing this car, it would be the 14-B.

Naturally, Dutchman

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    LAROKE likes this.
  9. Dutchman

10. Dutchman

Here is a 1965 copy of available units and their prices: upload_2019-9-4_6-2-34.jpeg #ad

11. Knobbly

fascinating guys and thank you... does anyone have a 14B they want to sell!!

12. Knobbly

Many thanks to you all. I am no the proud owner of a 14-B.. i'll let you know how the project goes!

Dutchman and LAROKE like this.
  13. Sandro

Wow. That is one seriously sexy piece of kit, Laroke. A real work of mechanical art. :D

That's a lovely car, too, Knobbly. :)

But man, if someone with a 413 had bought that kit from Latham, he'd have been pretty sad. The 413 is an RB, not a B. Though, come to think of it, going in that direction, a set of spacers to make up the difference wouldn't be hard to make. It's going the other way that's a pain.

LAROKE likes this.
  14. Knobbly

i, Am i right in thinking you could run in period (1959) 2 or 4 or even 6 carter carbs ?

15. Dutchman

The competition model was set up to run 4 Carter Carbs. Six was never an option.

16. Knobbly

thx v very helpful.. in a fight with the FIA to prove what it ran in period. I know you posted a 65 Latham price list.. don't suppose you have anything from 58 or 59? many thanks indeed for the help.. i'm going to owe you a ride round at this rate !

17. Dutchman

While I do have articles about Latham superchargers prior to, during, and after 1958, it seemed like the best thing to do would contact the man who knows the most. I have asked Richard Paul, owner of the original Latham Supercharger sales information to help you with your issue.

Your supercharger may not be the original one for this application, but if it was sold to Jim Hall or Carroll Shelby, then that information is still available including the actual serial number if you needed to go that far.

Richard had stored this information a while back and may not know where to find it in a hurry, but there is no better source than the caretaker of the original documentation to get the information you need.

I hope this helps you.

18. Knobbly

that is really helpful thank you!

19. Knobbly

Would have been sold either to Chaparral / Carol Shelby or Sonny Balcaen

really helpful thank you

20. Dutchman

8D64B5F5-4722-4BE0-A217-F597C8383902.png #ad

82770E42-B4FF-43E4-BE7A-999C29A31144.jpeg #ad

324D2A23-4B98-4932-BFD6-AEDBC47E0D07.jpeg #ad

vinces427bb likes this.